Nowadays, it is really hard to come across people who are not working on the WordPress platform. WordPress platform happens to be one magnet for those people willing to take matters in their own hands and planning to run them independently.
WordPress will make it really easy to actually help customize an existing or new website. For that, you just need to grab some CSS, HTML and PHP knowledge and you are good to go. With a bit of technical knowledge by your side, there’s literally nothing that you can’t change.
While trying to make some website changes, there are many people who just love to edit the theme in a direct manner. It means they are adding files or changing them in the present theme folder. It might give rise to loads of issues these days.
The biggest disadvantage at this point is that any modification you are likely to make will be lost when the developers update the theme. As one consequence, users will not be able to keep their themes updated all the time or might find all the customizations gone.
Working on a child theme:
For the ultimate customized version of WordPress Theme development, it is vital to use a “child” theme as a starting point. It helps you to make all the necessary changes to any website, without even you touching any original theme file. Before getting to the child theme, it is mandatory to talk about the parent theme.
- A theme can only become a “parent” one when anyone plans to build a child theme for it. Before that, it is considered as just one theme that you get in any WordPress directory. Each theme comprises of all files, as a need to complete one parent theme.
- Any theme can prove to be a parent theme, but there are some better-suited ones available for this said purpose. Some frameworks like StudioPress Genesis are designed to get customized later by a child theme.
- In terms of WP back end, a child theme won’t behave much differently. You can easily find and then activate it under the “Appearance” section, and then selecting “Themes.” The big difference is that this child theme solely depends on the parent to work. Without the parent theme present, it won’t be able to cover a single note and cannot get activated.
Requirements to create this WP theme:
Planning to create the WordPress theme for the first time? If so, then some of the basic steps will help you work on this note more.
- At first, you have to install WP locally. There are simple steps to do so and logging online can help you with that. You don’t need a technical guru to help you with this stage.
- Then you can create the WordPress theme from Scratch. The first step is manual, by creating WP theme through coding, and then another one is an automated version.
- WordPress generally has two files, index.php, and style.css. For this layout, you need 5 files, under header.php, index.php, sidebar.pho, footer.php, and style.css.
- Apart from that, you need to work on bootstrap.css, for which there is no need to use a separate CSS code. The last one is bootstrap.js, which has its very own js for the navigation bar or even the tabs.
The idea behind WordPress theme customization will turn out to be a reality once you are sure of the major steps to follow. With experienced guidance from the web developers, this simple platform will turn into a massive hit among youngsters.
Try modifying that existing theme:
Modifying your current theme is an easy option for you. For that, just be sure to make some of the minor changes such as font sizes, colors and even the simple changes in the layout. For that, working on a child theme, as mentioned already is the best point to consider.
Try adapting the current theme:
If you are planning to dig deep within the field of WordPress, you might need to duplicate the present theme and bend it right away as per your will. It might involve deleting some of the present styles and then working to create some of your own.
Make sure to dig right into some of the other available theme files and then remove the elements that you actually don’t need and even try to add some others. When you are on this way, you can decide to delete some of the features in the copied texts that you don’t want.
For that, you will find PHP snippets to work with. Following these norms from the WordPress Development Company will easily help you create a WP theme of your own.